Thursday, November 11, 2010

Blog Prompts #23

1. In what ways do you “construct” your identity? In what ways do you “perform” in your daily life?
    The basic ways to construct my identity are through things I value and the way I behave. Value is more about spiritual identity. The way i view the world and the way i think have a huge influence on my behavior which guides the way I "show" my identity. The music I listen to, the friends I am around, the clothes I wear, the magazine I read and even the food I eat are all demonstrating my identity and revealing a part of my attitudes.
    Cooking is performance in my opinion. The Asian cultural background I come from has a big emphasis on the food. Food and cooking are not a simple a they are seemed. Even the way I put my noodles in the bowl will follow a certain pattern, which shows a lot of my identity.


2. Describe some ways in which your personal culture and social environments are “constructed”.
    As I mentioned before, food place a tremendous significant role in Chinese culture, even the whole Oriental Asian culture. The daily meals I have everyday contributes to construct my personal culture. And the social environment is constructed by the people, the community and social class I am interacting with.
 

3.   Describe some ways in which your physical environment/space is “constructed”.
     the physical environment/ space is more about geographic location: like which country you are at. The climate/season you are experiencing, and the time of the day. Also the smaller scale locations where you are in: the street, the building or the room.


4. In your daily life, what would you consider to be “real” and what would you consider to be “constructed/fabricated”?
    Things that are not planned and happen naturally can be considered as "real".
    Things that are planned out with a certain purpose is "constructed".


5. Describe a narrative tableaux that you might create to be captured by a photograph. A narrative tableaux can be defined as “Several human actors play out scenes from everyday life, history, myth or the fantasy of the direction artist” ( Constructed Realities: The Art of Staged Photography Edited by Michael Kohler , 34).
     I will probably ask people to act as they were in other culture... if that is possible.... By the way they dress, I think it could create a sense of other location, even times. I would live to ask my friend to wear her Yukata or my Chipao and go to an Asian restaurant to make it look like where are on the other side of the world.


6. Describe an idea for a photograph that includes a miniature stage or still life. A description of such an image is “The tableaux reconstructs events as in the narrative tableaux, but in miniaturized format, using dolls and other toy objects” (Kohler, 34). 
I would like to make a miniature stage in my empty glass jar! It was a kimchi jar, and after I finished the kimchi i cleaned it. I would make some paper work: like trees, animals, little human-being and hopefully i could find materials to make them look 3-D. but also i want to use real soil, or some plants in this miniature still life and make it a combination of real and constructed.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment